Focus on what matters most: your research.
Did you know that researchers waste nearly 200,000 hours per year formatting citations? Imagine if you could have that time back to spend on your research. EndNote 20 accelerates your research process so you can focus on what truly matters – conducting and sharing groundbreaking research.
New in EndNote 21
EndNote 21 is here!
The best reference management tool is getting even better. The all new EndNote 21 and EndNote Web help you manage and format citations like never before with bold new features.
With EndNote 21 you stay organized using features like tags that enhance productivity. You can enjoy peace of mind with data restoration functions that protect your work and improve your writing workflow with integrated document creation tools for Google Docs.
Experience a new, exclusive EndNote web interface
With EndNote you can access your research anytime, anywhere from the cloud. Move seamlessly between online and desktop and iPad applications. Say hello to the brand new EndNote Web, available only to EndNote 21 customers for three years from the activation date. Securely sync your entire library including PDFs, notes, and annotations across all your devices.
Cite While You Write in Google Docs
Our Cite While You Write (CWYW) tool, makes it easy to insert your EndNote references in a Microsoft Word or Apple Pages document. CWYW automatically creates in-text citations and reference lists and easily changes the format of your in-text citations and reference lists. With EndNote 21 we are expanding CWYW to be compatible with Google Docs, making it easier to write your next paper and to collaborate on documents with colleagues.
Stay organized with tags
Tags are customizable labels that let you organize your references however you’d like. You can add tags to references and customize the colour and name of the tags. You can add multiple tags to a reference and anyone who you share your library with can view a tag, making tags a great way to quickly and intuitively organize your references.
Protect your work with data restoration function
Auch wenn mal etwas schiefgeht, kann EndNote 21 Ihre Library aus der Cloud wiederherstellen. Einzelne Referenzen können Sie mit den früheren Versionen Ihrer Referenzen vergleichen und wiederherstellen.
7000+ Reference Styles
Build your bibliography in any of our included styles, or create your own custom style. Plus, support for new, modern types of references like blogs and online videos is included.
What else can you do with EndNote?
- Search hundreds of online resources for references and PDFs.
- Access full text research articles with one click.
- Easily read, review, annotate and search PDFs in your library.
- Create rules to automatically organize references as you.
- Keep your data accurate with automatic reference and link updating.
- Quickly deduplicate the content in your library by searching on unique identifiers.
- Ensure your bibliography is accurate with refreshed journal and referencing styles.
- Access your research anytime, anywhere from the cloud. Move seamlessly between online and the desktop and iPad applications.
- Share some or all of your library with collaborators worldwide.
- Provide write or read-only access to your library.
- Use the new Tabs feature for easier multitasking.
- Track your teammates’ changes and view their activity in your shared library.
- Match your paper with relevant, reputable journals using Manuscript Matcher.
- Conduct large-scale literature reviews with ease and speed using the powerful analysis tools.
Each EndNote license includes the Windows and Macintosh versions. User may install EndNote on three computers for personal use.
EndNote Libraries can be used across platforms (Windows and Macintosh).
Internet connection required for registration, for online research and for the automatic update of data sets as well as for EndNote Web.
System Requirements (Windows) Windows 10, Windows 11 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor 600 MB of free hard drive space Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Windows) Microsoft Word [CWYW] for Windows: 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2021, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only) Apache OpenOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 3.x, 4.x LibreOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 4.x, 5.x, 6.x (32-bit) Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
System Requirements (Mac) macOS 10.14, 10.15, 11, 12, 13 Intel or Apple Silicon-based Macintosh Hard disk with at least 700 MB of free disk space Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Mac) (Mac) Microsoft Word [CWYW] for macOS: 2016, 2019, 2021, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only) Partner Integration for Cite While You Write: Apple® Pages Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8 Format Paper: Word processing systems that can save data as an RTF file: o Apple iWork Pages Version 1, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x o TextEdit - for the supported Mac OS versions o Apache OpenOffice - Version 1, 2 .x, 3.x o Nissus Writer – for the respective supported Mac OS versions o Mellel – Version 1, 2.x • Format Paper: Word processing systems that can save data as an odt file: o Apache OpenOffice Version 1, 2.x, 3.x
EndNote Web Compatibility and Requirements
Browser support for web applications*
- Firefox® 27 or newer
- Safari® 5.0 or newer
- Chrome® 31 or newer
Browser Support for Web Capture**
- Firefox 27 or newer
- Safari 5.0 or newer
- Chrome 31 or newer
*Applies to both Macintosh and Windows browser versions
Network compatibility and system requirements
Installation and deployment
On Windows networks, EndNote can be deployed with MSI installer technology using scripting or via Group Policy.
EndNote Cross-Platform Compatibility
- Individuals who purchase a single user license can install EndNote on up to three computers for their personal use.
- Sharing a license with other users is not allowed under the individual license agreement.
- Those computers can be any combination of Mac and Windows machines.
- By creating or logging into a Endnote online account (under preferences > Sync), that individual can sync their library across all three computers, as well as access it through EndNote online and the iPad app.
NOTE: Your EndNote product key is required for activation. Your key is the 25-digit code found in your email order confirmation.